Thursday, April 23, 2009

Best Line of the Day

From Jeffrey Goldberg's "Why I Fired My Broker":
I took a random walk down Wall Street and got hit by a bus.
Read the Atlantic article for one man's soured take on investing, from the viewpoint of a little guy. You can practically hear him laughing bitter tears. Especially precious is the dialogue on the second screen, when the author is being given the lowdown on brokerages. No, they're not given him unbiased advice. No, they're not his friends. The brokers are just selling. Don't get fooled by the plastic smiles.

They remind me of a friend's pet iguana. Occasionally the animal would come over and stand close to his leg, which reminded me of a dog nuzzling its owner. At first I thought, "Oh, that's cute. He's reaching out, seeking companionship." My friend quickly disabused me of that notion: "He just wants to be fed." And I watched the reptile more closely and realized it was true. There was no warmth in those beady eyes, only the cold stare of self-interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment